lunes, 20 de agosto de 2007

Tablets II & III

In these two tablets, what basically happens is that Endiku goes to Uruk and challenges Gilgamesh to a fight. Obviously, Gilgamesh wins, and Endiku admits his superiority and they "embrace, kiss, and hold hands" (awwww). Then Rimat-Nunsun, his mother, explains to Gilgamesh why he has to be kind to Endiku, and once again they "embrace, kiss, and hold hands" (awwww). After that Gilgamesh suddenly decides to go to the Cedar Forest, where "Huwawa's mouth is fire, his roar the floodwater; his breath is death. Enlin made him guardian of the Cedar Forest, to frighten off the mortal who would venture there. But who would venture there? [repeats]" But that doesn't deter Gilgamesh, who feels that even if he dies there, at least his name will bring fame to his sons.

That's very different from me. I would've said "Hell, no!" and dropped the matter. I guess that's why they don't write books about me.

I think (never mind, I'm a hundred percent sure) that Gilgamesh will win, with Endiku's help, otherwise the book would be a great deal shorter.

One thing that bothers me in this book is that they keep repeating certain phrases. For example, the one about Huwawa that I quoted earlier was repeated at least five times in three pages. Yes, I get that "Huwawa's mouth is fire, his roar floodwater; his breath is death. Enlil made him guardian of the Cedar Forest, to frighten off the mortal who would venture there. But who would venture there? [repeat]" Do you really need to say it a thousand times? But apart from that it's an okay book.

1 comentario:

J. Tangen dijo...

What sort of affect does repitition have on us? Can you think of other places where we repeat contemporarily? Great ideas! I think you could use some more development and closer reading of texts.

3
2
3