lunes, 5 de noviembre de 2007

The Book of Job: Chapters 11-36

About Friday's class: I changed my mind. I now believe that the Architect is like the Pharaoh. Actually, I believed it by the end of the class, but I was arguing because I didn't want to be proven wrong.

I didn't like The Matrix that much. I just found Morpheus incredibly annoying, with his arrogant little smile, and I thought the writers should have been more creative with the names they gave their characters/places/boats. I just found the movie a bit pretentious. Of course, maybe it has the right to be pretentious. Many of our great geniuses have been extremely arrogant (ex: Picasso), and that was okay because they proved they had the right to indulge in a bit of self-worship. So maybe, if I watched the whole Matrix Trilogy, I would say it's genius and it has the right to be affected. I'll only find out if I watch all the movies.

This is a continuation of the conversation between Job and his four friends. Job has gotten over his suicidal phase and now he's merely very depressed.

They discuss many things, and though again I found their phraseology a bit confusing, I managed to gather this much:

Job's friends tell him that he must have sinned to be punished this way, because God would not punish him this way without any reason:

"The heaven shall reveal his iniquity; and the earth shall rise up against him." (20:27)

This is one Job is denying that he did anything wrong, and his (very unsympathetic) friends say that though they do not know what he did, God does, and He is punishing him.

Job maintains that he never did anything (although not once does he curse God), and that he would like to defend himself before God:

"I would order my cause before him, and fill my mouth with arguments," (23:4)

He also talks about the fact that he used to be respected, but now the people who bowed to him cursed him.

"But now they that are younger than I have me in derision, whose fathers I would have disdained to have set with the dogs of my flock." (30:1)

Then someone called Elihu speaks up, and he said all of them were wrong. God is just, and he punishes and forgives easily. None of them should claim to understand him.

No hay comentarios: