jueves, 1 de noviembre de 2007

The Book of Job: Chapters 6-11

This is a continuation of what I read yesterday in the first chapter. I don't really know what to say about this. It records a conversation between Job and someone called Bildad the Shuhite (and who is he???? And where did he come from???? And what is he doing there???).

I don't completely understand what they're telling each other, but it seems important. They seem to be discussing why man can't be as great as God, but they do so in such a complicated fashion, using so many similes and metaphors, that I just don't get what they're trying to say.

Well, that's not true. I get the individual metaphors/similes just fine, but when they put them all together, add their archaic way of speaking, and mix, and I'm left staring at the book with befuddlement.

However, I understand that Job is feeling suicidal and is begging God to kill him. His friends are telling him that he should not speak so, that God has the right to try him.

Well, there's not much more I can say. I'll try reading it again tomorrow and post something more profound...

No hay comentarios: