domingo, 23 de septiembre de 2007

Christian Morals

On Friday, you complained that we were all judging these myths by "Christian morals." I disagree with you on this.

I don't think of myself as particularly religious. Four years at Catholic school pretty much cured any interest I ever had in God. However, like most Americans, I was raised on Christian morals, and they are the only way I can perceive the world. I believe that lying, cheating, and adultery is bad. And I believe entirely that the merciless slaughter of a village who did no other crime than not answer the door in the middle of the night is positively immoral. Maybe that makes me a narrow-minded, self-righteous, nun-in-training; I don't know. The fact reminds that it is so, and though I realize that the Greeks were raised differently than me, that maybe they thought that it was okay to do that, I, personally, will never be able to acknowledge that without thinking to myself, "Good God, how could they ever believe that?" "Christian morals" are the way I judge everything that has to do with crime, murder, punishment, and to pretend otherwise would be hypocritical of me. When I give my opinion on any myth, I give my real opinion, not how you think I should feel. If that's wrong, well, there's nothing I can do about it.

I also disagree with the example of the gods not liking human sacrifice, which means that they do have some morals. I hate hornets. Hornets are evil, creepy little creatures that make horrible buzzing sounds all the time, and take advantage of their smallness and rapidity to ruthlessly attack us humans. However, if someone were to walk up to me, offer me a dead hornet, and say, "Oh, Great Sophia, this here is a hornet that I slayed in your honor so that I might sacrifice it to you," my immediate reaction would be along the lines of, "Ewww, get away from me, you sicko!!!" This does not mean that I like hornets any better. It does not mean that I am unhappy that there is one hornet less in the world. It means that I find dead hornets disgusting, and I cannot understand why anyone would think I would like the cadaver of one, and I would slap the person who gave it to me. That was probably the god's reaction to getting a human sacrifice. Disgust.

So that's why I'm going to continue applying "Christian morals" to my blog entries.

No hay comentarios: